I came here to iMap on work experience, given the task to create a blog entry. I must say, creativity is one of my strong points, however if someone gave me a tub of paint along with a box full of craft stuff and asked me to make something useful or even slightly appealing, I wouldn't know where to start. After a lot of thought, I went with the theme of Quick and easy DIY home makes, going against everything I have previously just said. Much to say I spent a great deal of time scrolling through hundreds of Pinterest posts and YouTube videos, passing the same thing over and over again. These were Galaxy Jars, Basically a fancy mason jar, or in this case a plastic bottle, filled with paint, glitter and cotton wool, giving the appearance of a galaxy.
Here is what you will need to do...
Things you will need:
- 2-4 colours of acrylic paint
- Lots and lots of cotton wool balls
- A plastic Bottle
- Something long to stir with
- Premix the acrylic paint, by adding a couple squirts of paint into a large cup of water. Then stir or shake, until fully mixed. Do this for each colour
- Pull the cotton balls slightly apart so they look like clouds. Fill the bottle about 1/4 of the way up with the cotton clouds. This is your first layer
- Pour a colour of the paint mix over them until all the cotton balls have absorbed the paint, Pushing them down as you go
- Then add glitter along the sides
- Repeat steps 2-4 until finished, then glue the cap on so nothing will come out.
Sounds simple, quick, easy and fun. Right? Well, I soon discovered that Pinterest has lied to us all! Either this or my craft skills aren't fully developed yet.
I thought I would be able to get this finished, cleaned up and photographed with my spare hour at the end of the day. Nope! This make took me hours, and the least to say, the result was slightly disappointing. So here is my guide on what not to do when making the galaxy jar
- Use a big bottle. A huge bottle stuffed with paint and cotton wool, is not only time consuming but it also weighs more than a dumbbell by the end and should be used in the gym.
- Buy thin cheap tubes of glitter, with none screw top. It took a good 10 minutes for me to figure out how to pull the little rubber tops out of the tube without spilling glitter everywhere. However glitter is glitter and will always get everywhere!
- Pull apart every cotton ball to get the ‘cloud’ effect. Pulling apart 200 cotton balls isn't very exciting, I promise!
Overall this make looks amazing if you do it properly and have many attempts. But if you’re like me, have no attention span and can’t open glitter without making a mess! This one is not for you. But hey if you are braver then me and want to give a shot at making these “quick, easy and simple galaxy jars” then good luck and I grantee yours will turn a million times better than mine.
If you do get a chance to make these please do sent us a photo and follow us on social media.
Posted on Monday, 3rd July 2017